Header - picture

Header - picture

Saturday, October 3, 2015

The First Storm


.





Life, that thin rope so easily cut, and getting thinner with age.  Don’t hike alone, the warning signs so glibly advise.  But for me the option is not to hike.  To obey every rule affecting my safety is not prudent in my opinion.  I have goals that are greater than long life. 












I’ve hiked in rain before; I have the right gear; I can do this.  And it might clear up!  Then the air will be clean, views superb, wildlife active.  I didn’t head up any rugged trail for the high country today, but settled for an easy route to Taggart and Bradley Lakes, with a ready escape should things get nasty.  Snow has fallen on Grand Teton, but here it’s just a light rain.  










Hiking beside a rapidly flowing creek, the sounds of animals are nearly impossible to hear.  Startled bears or moose are dangerous here, not because they are aggressive, but because they react quickly to threats.  So I make noise to warn them of my approach in places where visibility is short.  I don’t know who was more startled when I came around a curve, having neglected to shout.  He raised up quickly with a snort just a hundred feet away. 





More people are attacked by moose than by bears and wolves combined.  The rut is the most dangerous time, when bulls fight over cows and anyone is a threat to his harem.  And October is in the rut.  They are most likely to attack if their "personal space" has been encroached upon.  Moose are very limber animals with flexible joints and sharp, pointed hooves, able to kick with both front and back legs.  They employ body language, warning signs prior to attack.  Eye contact is usually the first sign of aggression, while laid-back ears or a lowered head is a definite sign of agitation.  If the hairs on the back of a moose's neck and shoulders stand up, a charge is usually imminent.   











I looked around and saw a cow moose down over the left side of the trail, and another cow up the hillside to the right.  













I stood still, stared at the bull, and tried to look big and foreboding.  The bear spray, which I always carry on the strap of my pack, was quickly in my hand, and the safety was off.  The bull moose just stared at me.  I made no sign of either attacking him or running away.  Our eyes locked as we sized each other up.    














About a minute passed before he started walking my way.  Head lowered, he lumbered down the hillside above the trail, straight for me.  At this point I started backing slowly away, keeping eye contact, clicking pictures all the time, bear spray  ready.    











Then he stopped (left picture).  Something interested him in the direction of the cow to the left of the trail (right picture).   















Now the cow approached him,  and he seemed more interested.  















They turned to me as if to pose for the camera—a sweet couple.  Or else they were saying, ”Privacy please.”  The other cow seems to say “I want some too.”   













They nuzzle each other on cheek and lip.  See how she raises one front leg in feminine satisfaction.  












She finally walks back down the hill, and her bull stands on the trail, looking at me again.  I wait for him to move away so I can pass, but he stands there for a long time, perhaps saying, “For what you have witnessed, I will now take a big chunk of your day.”   









26 comments:

  1. Holy moose cow Sharon! That was scarier than Donald Trump on acid. I love these close ups and can only imagine the pum pum of your heart as you had this encounter which you will never forget. What a sweet moment, scary as it is. Yes I understand what you say, some goals are more important than the body! Hike on! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Lois, I should have known, you love his poetry so. I may have moose dreams tonight. So tender it was between them, so loving. I have a new appreciation of polygamy and communal partnerships.

      Delete
  2. " I have goals that are greater than long life." So very well said - and done - this very day, Sharon.
    This mornings postings are a lived, live "poem"
    A perfect gifting from yourself to yourself, and to us all, an exchange with and from you, life and living. Thanks for sharing
    - Hike on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TomM, I appreciate your comments. But I can't figure out who you are.

      Delete
  3. WOW! Some photos are worth the risk, although I'm sure you would not have approached these Meeses (smiles) at such close range just for a fabulous photo.

    The build up was enticing and exciting as you led us along your path with anticipation and eagerness as you moved forward with your backpack of bloggers right behind you, peering from a very safe distance. (we knew you were fine because you were giving us an account and one cannot do so if perched in a tree somewhere, or lost in a hollow, or dangling from a moose antler)

    Perhaps you should consider this (and others) for submission to Field and Stream or some such publication (I know there's bound to be something more interesting than this suggestion). These photos alone are astounding, but your account is so informative and entertaining that more than your string-along-backpack-of-bloggers should certainly have the opportunity for exposure (pun intended).

    Looking forward to other wonders you share with us... be safe & stay dry.

    Junnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Junnie, you know as the moose was moving straight toward me, my thought was - I've got to get pictures so that if only the memory chip in my camera survives, there will be a record. Strange the things we think in crises. Goose - geese . . . moose - meese

      Delete
    2. Ahhhhhh ..... I just a 'great minds think alike' moment ... my train of thought would be hitched to yours ... glad your chip is in your company, both of you safe

      Delete
  4. Oh for Pete's sake Sharon!!!! You've done it again, given us a scare, (even though we knew it had to have worked out or you wouldn't have been posting photos).
    Oh my. Those are tender photos, and I agree with your friend who suggested submitting them for publication.
    Now i will google "effect of bear spray on moose".
    Be careful, Sharon. And stay indoors next time it starts to rain.
    Looking forward to your Safe return.
    Liz
    Oh ps tonight we went to a lecture on Pluto, and there is a moon in orbit around Pluto, and the name is Charon (pronounced by some, Sharon, so of course we thought of you.
    Sending best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, it started to rain yesterday morning and I stayed indoors, even before your sound advice. But maybe I missed a bear. Hmmm. Good chance of rain again today, with snow higher up. Maybe i'll go up, up ,up . . .

      Delete
  5. Reading your adventure story on the bus from Seabeck to Sealtac airport having met only gentle deer this weekend. I handed my phone to Rick to, so he would not miss your exciting scary asventure and amazing photos! Wonderfully written account of this chunk of tour day!" So well paced, inspired thanks you your Moose (some only have muses).. it will be great to show a big screen version of all this when over! Maybe a petchakucha on the Moose with 20 photos as well??! Sending love into your adventure!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy you liked this account, Kath. I have a moose muse who has already inspired response, even as I slept. A strong bull warded off a mere human whom he thought might injure his lover. Seeing that I was really no threat, he turned to her, and she responded, came to him, nuzzled him. What beautiful poetry performed before my eyes.

      Delete
  6. Great Photos and adventure!! I wish I was there. What a great episode, to come along and capture the romance of a Bull moose. I agree whole heartedly with your Life pursuit paradigm. NO pain No gain. Extreme pain, Extreme gain as I have heard. Nothing ventured, nothing gained sound more like your watchwords. the words of the meek are best saved for bland pudding.
    march on Sharon...We'll be excited to see the travelogue upon your return!! Bon voyage!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting her, Eric. I remember you from the memorial service for Jim Lyon. Jim did his own kind of adventure, lived on an edge different from mine, but just as real and precarious. He was a bull moose and Kathy was his mate. He lumbered on hillsides as green as the Teton valleys.

      Delete
  7. Loving this adventure of yours as I cowardly (Ha!) battle traffic, heat/drought and daily life here in the city. As with some of the comments above, I agree with your axiom “I have goals that are greater than long life”. One cannot speak that truth until one truly experiences life.

    Yes, what a wonderful Moose tale to tell Field and Stream!

    Thank you again for letting us vicariously share this journey with you!

    Stevie

    P.S…B E A U T I F U L photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to see you here, Stevie. As one who takes truly beautiful photographs, your comment on mine is most appreciated. Please continue vicariously, I love company in thes intriguing way.

      Delete
  8. "For what you have witnessed," tenderness in this cycle of procreation. How sweet, as she lifts her front leg.How strong and protective the Bull is. How quickly body language can be misunderstood, in a wild place where wisdom, planning and a careful trek is your power. Sharon, you will continue blessed in your trek, with purity of heart and commitment to your quest. We are here to cheer you on in every step.Love, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "For what you have witnessed,"
      tenderness in this cycle of procreation.
      sweetly she lifts her front leg.
      How strong and protective the Bull
      How quickly body language can be misunderstood
      in a wild place where wisdom,
      planning and a careful trek is your power

      Just tinkering with your words, Kathy. I do appreciate them,

      Delete
  9. If it's mouse and mice, why isn't it moose and mise. But I guess it isn't mooses either but rather a lot of (indefinite) moose. So it's nice to see your pictures of "moose" being affectionate. Lee Collins

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Affectionate moose and affectionate English language, Lee - yes. But if there were logic in affection, I vote for moose/meese because of goose/geese.

      Delete
  10. Rising up through the flesh of the earth
    les trois tétons, point to sky and heaven
    dressed in Aspen lace
    they rise higher with the Earths breath

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kathleen Jacobson

    My name did not appear with my poem.
    Your picture are so beautiful Sharon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathleen, I like your poem. I often use poems posted here in my talks and/or on the blog. May I use this one?

      You must be familiar with these mountains to use their old name, Les Trois Tetons, given by French Canadian explorers. We now call the three prominent peaks Grand Teton, Middle Teton, and South Teton. Together they are tetons, or breasts, as these sensual Frenchmen saw them. I prefer to call them Teewinot - "many pinnacles" per Shoshone tradition, and one of the lesser peaks does carry that name. Perhaps we will eventually do as was done fro Denali in Alaska - hive up modern names and go back to traditional native american names.

      Delete
    2. Kathleen, I like your poem. I often use poems posted here in my talks and/or on the blog. May I use this one?

      You must be familiar with these mountains to use their old name, Les Trois Tetons, given by French Canadian explorers. We now call the three prominent peaks Grand Teton, Middle Teton, and South Teton. Together they are tetons, or breasts, as these sensual Frenchmen saw them. I prefer to call them Teewinot - "many pinnacles" per Shoshone tradition, and one of the lesser peaks does carry that name. Perhaps we will eventually do as was done fro Denali in Alaska - hive up modern names and go back to traditional native american names.

      Delete
  12. This is unmistakably answered prayer ..........
    Love this adventure ...............
    muhsin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mushin, I'm glad you are loving the adventure. This often means you are having an adventure of your own, thought it may be much different from mine.

      Delete