Header - picture

Header - picture

Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Ice Cold


From down in Jackson Hole, that odd name given to the valley of the Snake River, I have looked up at Grand Teton, that highest peak, 13, 770 feet.  Here are two of the many pictures I’ve taken on mornings driving to some trailhead in the mountains.  










But today I wish to zoom in on a feature below the summit of Grand Teton.  You can see that even in October, much ice remains in a canyon there from prior winters.  We had a light dusting of snow a few days ago, but not nearly as much as you see here.  It’s a small remainder, called Teton Glacier, not of the great Pleistocene Ice Age, but from a cool period called the Little Ice Age, 1400 to 1850.  I walked up there and to other glaciated places recently and will lead you on a little trip, if you wish to come, through thousands of years of glaciation.








In the above picture you can see most of my route.  In the lower left just past the trees in the foreground, is Taggart Lake where I met a happy family of moose a few days ago.  Just to the left of Teton Glacier and over the top of the tree covered hill is Amphitheater Lake, my approach yesterday trekking to the glacier.  These places are shown on the map at the right.












Now let’s zoom in from down in Jackson Hole.  Notice what looks like a pile of rocks in front of Teton Glacier.  It looks like an earth-filled dam created by man.  In fact it is a dam and may form a lake, but it is entirely natural.  During the past 40 years, the glacier has retreated about twenty percent.  As it melted, all the rocks that it was carrying down the canyon settled out.  Called a terminal moraine, it may impound water someday to form a lake like Jenny, Taggart or Amphitheater.  Such lakes are called tarns, if anyone cares.  









Climbing up to Amphitheater Lake, I ascended a moraine much larger than the one we see below Teton Glacier.  This moraine is from one of the great Pleistocene glaciations that began 2.7 million years ago and only ended about 15,000 years ago.  Some of these boulders, dropped here by massive ice, are as big as houses.  








Bradley Lake in foreground
Taggart Lake in background
Jackson Hole in distance
Jenny Lake


From the top of the moraine, I looked down on three lakes that I had visited, far below to the east, all formed by moraines like the one I had just climbed. And beyond them is Jackson Hole and the Snake River.














At about 10,000 feet, I reached Amphitheater Lake, a pristine little tarn 












The trail ends here, so I scrambled up a rocky hill to see the moraine below Teton Glacier.













Glaciers are like bulldozers, breaking hard rock, scraping out canyons.  They carry boulders downhill, and fine sand too, but most of the fines get washed down into Jackson Hole, leaving hard rock reminders of how great were the pressures exerted here by ice.  I’m ready for hot coffee now.







10 comments:

  1. Sharon, thanks for the many views, your stamina is astonishing! Her's a little something for you

    a tarn
    so often asked for
    in crossword puzzles
    I'll fill in the squares
    now knowing the answer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Erika, it's gotta be good for something. Cross words, puzzles, jokes?

      He said I'll make you a tarn
      came with a bucket at dawn
      poured out a mixture of rocks and ice
      now at night it feels really nice



      Delete
  2. Sharon,

    I imagine how it's like, reading your blog and looking at the photos. They are gorgeous. Hole and a tarn, I'll remember that. It must be cold and pure there. Now I want to make a coffee, too, and sip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Keiko, it feels cold and pure. Most of the tourists are gone, bears are fattening up for hibernation, elk and moose in the rut, and a lone hiker. With no winter storms forecast, I want to stay a while.

      Delete
  3. Amazing views and experiences Sharon! The lake views from above are my favorite. I usually love mucroscopic views most but these are stunning overviews. Usually inerviews are unabsorbable and overwhelming to me but these have a clarity as if to demonstrate a fact. You have presented this so beautifully. Love this journey.

    three lakes
    seen from above
    crystal clear
    we swim together
    like shivering bears

    (I dont know if bears shiver but I like the thought of it)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bears go swimming for fish in ice cold water. They shake, not shiver, when they come out to dry their fur. I think you and whoever would shiver if you swim in this cold water.. That whoever will not be me. Poems don't have to resemble the world's most obvious appearances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sharon,
      Poetic License is my favorite 'ticket to ride'

      Delete
  5. It looks like that glacier is definitely shrinking. That's the biggest moraine I think I've ever seen. If I remember my geology textbook, moraine material is called "till" The term for the shape made by glaciers -- "cirque"-- sounds a lot more exotic (French). Lee Collins

    ReplyDelete
  6. The glacial til that I climbed up is about 2000 feet high, an probably composed of material from several Pleistocene glaciations. At its top is a carved out cirque in which two small tarns reside--Amphitheater Lake and Surprise lake. Above these is the newly formed moraine of Teton Glacier. It's been a very icy history up here.

    ReplyDelete